At Chapleau Cree First Nation, we are committed to collecting and using your personal information responsibly. The privacy and protection of your personal information is of utmost importance to us.
CCFN endeavours to ensure that only required personal information is collected in accordance with authorized statues, by-laws, etc. and complies with the privacy provisions.
Most of the information accessible on CCFN’s website doesn’t require you to provide personal information about yourself. You may access it anonymously. The only personally identifying information arising from your use of CCFN’s website is what you voluntarily supply.
Why is Personal information collected?
CCFN collects and retains personal information for a number of reasons:
- To process your requests for services, products or additional information;
- To communicate/contact you regarding services that you have requested;
- To advise you of changes to our services and of service interruptions;
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements;
- To maintain a payment history;
- To collect unpaid accounts;
- To establish, administer and maintain billing, payment and other services related to accounting as well as security measures concerning your business and client relationship with us.
What Information do we collect?
Depending on the purposes(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including but not limited to:
- Your status card number;
- Basic identification information such as your name, address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, birth date;
- Medical information such as any condition that may affect your ability to participate in recreation activities, etc.;
- Emergency contact information.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We do not sell or rent your personal information. Sometimes we must share your personal information with others in order to serve your needs. The following are some situations in which we share personal information:
- to physical mail/print companies to quickly process volume distributions;
- to companies contracted to process your requests (ex. Garbage disposal companies to action your complaints, etc.)
- for law enforcement purposes;
- for purpose of acting in an emergency to facilitate contact with your next of kin if you become injured or ill.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information, Chapleau Cree First Nation:
- collects only the personal information needed to provided services;
- keeps your personal information only for as long as we need it to provide services;
- safeguards your personal information to the best of our ability;
- responds to any request you may make to access or correct the personal information we hold about you;
- obtains the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
Some other security methods/procedures include:
- the use of passwords for the protection of electronic information;
- firewalls for network security;
- standards relating to the storage of personal information;
- policies regarding the removal of records from the workplace, security of records in locked cabinets, briefcases, locking records in secure areas, etc.
- disposal of personal information in a confidential manner such as shredding; and
- procedures to address situations such as the loss, theft or inadvertent release of personal information.
Our website uses encryption technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”), to protect your personal information during data transport. SSL encrypts personal and payment information such as your name, address, credit card number and any other personal information that is required to perform your transaction. Note, that the CCFN does not store your credit card numbers and that it is only used for the duration of the transaction.
Use of “Cookie” Technology
Cookie technology captures summary – not individual – information on visitor use on the website. It is a computer code that tracks “traffic” so we can determine how effective the website is in meeting informational or service needs. A cookie contains no personal identifying information and CCFN acquires no knowledge of an internet visitor’s browsing habits. Apart from providing a performance measure, the data collected by the cookie is otherwise meaningless.