If so, consider this challenging opportunity as a Forestry Technical Specialist with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• administer forest licence, permit and approval processes
• participate in work program activities including preparing recommendations, organizing field projects, controlling budget expenditures and monitor progress and results of projects
• provide technical expertise and group leadership through consultation, negotiations, and conflict resolution
• prepare and implement compliance plans, conduct field inspections and investigations and provide testimonial evidence in court
• support long range planning teams by providing technical expertise
• communicate program information to the public, clients, partners, resource industries and Indigenous peoples
• participate in the delivery of other district resource management programs (e.g. Aggregate, Fish and Wildlife, Lands and Waters)
How do I qualify?
• You must possess a valid driver’s licence or equivalent as recognized by the province of Ontario to travel to rural or remote sites.
Forestry expertise and technical knowledge:
• You have a strong knowledge of forestry legislation, activities, administrative policies/procedures, licencing and permitting.
• You have proven knowledge of compliance inspection/investigation procedures and experience investigating infractions, determining corrective action and providing technical information and evidence.
• You are experienced in land use and resource management planning processes and have previously contributed your expertise and technical advice to planning exercises.
• You have knowledge of other resource management programs (Fish and Wildlife, Aggregate, Lands and Waters) and experience participating in the delivery of these programs in compliance with relevant safety legislation.
Planning and coordination skills:
• You have demonstrated analytical and problem solving experience and abilities.
• You have expertise pertaining to planning, leading/coordinating and participating in forestry programs and project activities.
Interpretation, communication and interpersonal skills:
• You can interpret and apply relevant safety legislation and have demonstrated experience working in compliance with acts and regulations.
• You have strong interpersonal and communication skills to prepare written products and participating in briefings, public meetings, conducting training and presenting evidence at legal proceedings.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.